Canada’s Restoration Services™
How to Remove Surface Mold from Wood Furniture?
When you decide to embark on cleaning surface mold from your wood furniture, the process can be very simple as long as you know what to look for and what products to use. Whether you’re looking to spruce up your outdoor chairs or bringing out wooden furniture from storage, you may find that they have developed some surface mold. This is normal because mold and mildew can easily form when wood is located near or in a source of moisture typical to storage facilities and the outdoors.
Making the decision to restore your wooden furniture starts with a simple step: leaving it out to dry. This is an important step because you want to give the wood as much time to dry out after being in an enclosed, moist environment. Also, this will ensure the mold will not grow any further since it cannot grow on wood which has a moisture content of 20% and lower.
What Wood Can I Clean?
Typically, it is better if you are only cleaning mold off smaller items like chairs, tables or ornaments. Larger items like buildings or barns have a greater threat of causing harm to you, so it is best to stay clear of attempting to rid those structures of mold and rather leaving it to the professionals. A restoration company would be an ideal place to start
While handling any harmful bacteria you should always start by getting the necessary protection materials like rubber gloves, goggles and a mask.
Spray, don’t Scrub
Because the majority of mold that is present on wood is fungal spores, if you scrub at it intensely this will only release the spores into the air and consequently into your lungs. It is better to spray the mold before removing.
Choosing Your Cleaning Products
Bleach is a great tool for removing mold from wood, and a good ratio is to use 10 parts water to 1 part bleach. You can also find readily available mold-removal kits sold at your local hardware store.
Ventilate the Area
Even if you are using natural cleaning products, you should make sure you are in a well-ventilated area when performing the cleaning. The reason for this is because while cleaning the mold spores may be released into the air.