BlogMold Removal

Canada’s Restoration Services™

At home steps to treat Mould

Posted at June 28, 2013 | By : | Categories : Blog,Mold Removal | 0 Comment

When it comes to mould there are simple step you can take to keep the environment around you as safe as possible, and mould free. Though some practices may seem time consuming, ultimately they are vital in the aversion of potentially dangerous and hazardous material.
Here are some at home procedures you can implement:

● Determine the level of mould. Having the affected areas and the rooms testing, allows you to understand the severity and the type of mold you are dealing with. Trying to tackle a job without knowing what is required for proper remediation procedure can allow the mold to continue to grow. If it looks like black mould, is a large area, or is caused by a leak from sewage, then consult a professional immediately.

● Use the right equipment. Before you even start to treat Mould, make sure that you have everything you need. A face mask will protect mould spores from entering your lungs, which can cause illness. Sealed goggles are needed to protect the eyes, and rubber gloves are also a must considering you may be using harsh chemicals. Make sure the gloves are strong, and will not disintegrate when interacting with mixed materials.

● Find the source of moisture, and eliminate it. This is what helps mould to thrive, and will accelerate its growth to an unsafe level. Check faucets, plumbing, and any leaks and bring them to standard. If you can’t find the origin of a leak, trying calling a professional to determine if there is an issue that requires further scrutiny.

● Clean the actual mold you can see. Using soapy water is an easy and effective way to kill mould. Give the area a thorough scrubbing and when finished, dry the area effectively. This works best on a hard service that won’t be affected by the solution. Furniture and drywall may have to be replaced.

● Take out the garbage. There may be some things that unfortunately you can’t save from mould, in which case you need to dispose of them. Many fabrics and porous materials could be difficult to clean. If you have something that is sentimental, like grandma’s old armoire, call a specialist to see what your options are. The rest of it belongs in the trash.

● Call a professional if you are unsure. In some cases, simply home procedures may not be effective in preventing and remedied mould. If you are experiencing any symptoms similar to allergies, asthma, or if you even have a rash, this could be caused by an unsafe amount of mould in your home. Call a medical professional to be absolutely sure, and always scout around your home for potential growth. Mould loves porous damp areas, and can destroy things like drywall, insulation, and furniture, which can cost thousands to repair and replace.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.